2009年4月15日水曜日

letter


I sent a gift to a friend of mine the other day. He is in mid 80's and extraordinally knowledgeable and really really lovely person. He knows about Japan very much, much more than me maybe.

This is a thank you card from him. Lovely letter, isn't it?

-----------------------

What a pleasant surprise, a special package from my friend in Japan containing a beautiful piece of Japanese artwork. The history of lacquerwear was most interesting. Echizen lacquerwear began at 6th century and according to what I've read-currently the Japanese government recognise only 44 Master Craftsmen of this art! Black of the urushi lacquer in a color I've never experienced before. For the "N"th time you've added a new color to my paint box. Thanks again for being my friend and sharing so much along the way. My very best---